Lamberhurst Brass Band
Gavin Holman – 17 January 2021
Series of engagements from 1873 to 1934
The Lamberhurst Brass Band was founded in 1870, originally as a drum and fife band, but they quickly converted to a brass band. Original members included Walter Bailey (b. 1849-1949) on cornet, and his brother Edwin Bailey (b. 1858-1938), Charles Greagsbey (b. 1859-1945).
Known band members:
Walter Bailey (b. 1849-1949) – founding member on cornet, then conductor from the early 1870’s through to around 1909. Thereafter, he was bandmaster until the band folded. In 1881 his occupation was an agricultural labourer, later becoming a gardener (domestic) in the 1891, 1901, and 1911 censuses.
Edwin Bailey (b. 1858-1938) – founding member, his occupation was generally given as an agricultural labourer or farm worker.
Charles Greagsbey (b. 1859-1945) – founding member, occupation bricklayer in 1881, bricklayer, tobacconist & feedsman in 1891/1901, and bricklayer, general shop in 1911.
George Frederick Willett (b. 1877) – conductor from 1909 to 1913, was an insurance agent. He emigrated to Canada in 1913.
Harry Watts – conductor in early 1914, occupation general labourer, living in Spring Cottage
Arthur Kennard (b. 1865-1951) was a playing member, a house painter by occupation.
John Bassett-Burr (b. 1879-1950) was conductor in 1925-1934, occupation bricklayer’s labourer in 1901/1911.
Colonel Frank Gun Delamain (b. 1858-1939) was President of the band in the 1910’s. He was a retired Army officer (11th King Edward’s Own Lancers – retiring from the Indian Army on 17 January 1910), born in France of British parents.
Robin Charles Varrell, ( Killed in Action, 21st March 1915) at one time conductor of the band
George Bishop (drum)
Arthur Kennard Snr.